Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 24, 2009

Equines of Serendipity- Aced

Chevals Topp Mentor


I have known Ace since shortly after he was born. A little black Morgan delivered into my life through careful consideration of bloodlines and temperament, he has changed my course in so many ways, it is often impossible to calculate. Every day, I wonder how I can love him more and every day he gives me greater reason to do so.

He is my Precious, Bijou, my forever horse. Any little child or terrified adult can ride him in the arena. Anyone who has the strength to hold the reins can drive him. He is the ultimate teacher, babysitter and companion. No one can leave without first falling in love with Ace, no matter what their disposition or opinion of horses. He is a constant source of wonder.

Ace is not the flashiest horse in the barn; he does not have Major’s rock star charisma or Don Pecos’s regality. He quietly, sweetly goes about his business. This is not to say he is without beauty, quite to the contrary. He is beautiful inside and out.

Anthropomorphist beware. I try very hard not to assign human characteristics to the horses. However, if you are a purist of this line of thought, I challenge you to spend a while in Ace’s company. He assumes human traits. It is as though believes it a condition of domestication.

Ace studies us. He notes our reactions to different stimuli, and then feeds them straight back to us. Ace provides input into lessons [Hey, look, Michelle! If I do a two thirds of a canter step before I go into the trot, rider rises on correct diagonal every time! Neat, huh?]. The most often repeated question in lessons with Ace is: Did he do that or did you? The most often repeated answer is: Ace did that. He is, without a doubt, the most intelligent, most affectionate, most generous, most kind, most resourceful horse I have ever known, and I'm not alone in saying this.

I never have to remind Ace's clients to thank their horse. At the end of every lesson they both wrap themselves around each other.

Ace is the stuff of legends. He is a quiet hero, a Mearas of Rohan. Precious. Bijou. However you call him, he Aces it.

No comments:

Post a Comment