Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 24, 2009

Schooling

This weekend I had the opportunity to meet a woman at a carriage driving schooling show who made a big impression on me. She had a lovely mare that she had taught to drive. Her vehicle and harness were adequate and utilitarian for driving down the road, which was her only source of driving experience. She did a fine job, but, as with all new experiences, she had some challenges. The mare got a little fractious, which, in turn, affected the driver, but there were many experts on hand to give advice and help the situation become a good experience for both of them.

I was so proud of this woman for undertaking the driving experience, for coming to the schooling show to learn more and for her modesty and willingness to accept all comers' advice. She reminded me of me in my first schooling show many years ago. In my beginner's enthusiasm, I had invited the local Morgan club to my parents' acreage. I hitched up one of the horses to an ancient jog cart with an even more ancient harness and joined in the activities.

Bob Riley, a renowned Morgan horseman was on hand, and mosied up to me and asked where my traces were. "Traces?" I asked. "What are traces?" He nonchalantly explained what they looked like and I immediately brightened and said, "Oh! Those long stips! I couldn't figure out where they went!" He chuckled and told me he would hold my horse [incidentaly, one he had trained] while I went to fetch those long strips of leather.

If you are no stranger to driving, you will no doubt be horrified to learn I was and had been driving said horse without traces for some time. Mr. Riley was not easily horrified, he had seen so many idiots driving horses in his 89 years, that I probably wasn't the worst. Although, he did suggest to me that he would like to come spend some time 'helping' me with my driving horses. I may be daft, but I'm not stupid and jumped on his offer.

I spent many an hour on the box seat with Bob Riley and learned many things, mostly from the times when things went wrong. Horses going over backwards while hitched, me going over the dash and landing on the horse, upestting the carriage in a ditch, falling off the back of the cart, stopping a runaway by driving him into the side of the barn. So many memories, thankfully all turned out well in the end.

The woman at the show brought all this back to mind. The sweetness of being a novice, eager to learn. I tried to give homage to Bob Riley and share a tip or two with her. Because she had dressage experience, I told her to drive the horse and ride her vehicle. As I explained my theory, I watched her face light up. It was the same face I gave to Bob Riley when he asked where my traces were. I think that is what is called an aha moment.

I was my great pleasure to share that experience with her.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, you have given me an infinite amount of "aha moments" on which I often draw! Thank you for that! Oh, and the Man looks fabulous in that picture above!! :)

    ReplyDelete