Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Which Carriage?

Indian summer, what a gift! The weather has been sublime here in Iowa these last few days. Perfect weather for working horses makes my job envious. Soon we will be relegated to long lining in the indoor arena for months. But for now, we revel in the soft sunshine. Today it is off to Jester Park for a practical application of skills on the trails. Oh, joy.

I have been advising a new driver on the purchase of a show carriage. Two wheeled, four wheeled, modified road cart, wicker phaeton, buy modestly or make an investment, hybrid or antique? So many questions need to be addressed. I was lucky when I was in her position, I had Harold Ault to advise me. I hope I can be as much use for her as Harold has been for me.

The sport of carriage driving is evolving so quickly that making that decision is even more difficult now than it was 10 years ago. Combined Driving Events are eclipsing Pleasure Shows and vehicles have to do double duty. The number of classically styled original vehicles is dwindling and hybrids are prolific. Horses are required to canter in dressage tests and let me tell you that is not comfy in my gig.

It is an exciting time, history is being made in front of our eyes.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

1 comment:

  1. Horses are required to canter in dressage tests? Wow. I've never been to a driving show, except for the World Hackney Event in KC at the Royal, but I had no idea what the heck I was watching and it was long before my PCD days.

    I DO know that a few months back I was at my friends house and she has a meadowbrook cart and a retired carriage horse and we took him out on a short ride, he spooked at a cow (city boy, go figure) and it very unconfortable with him jogging down the road.

    Of course it might have had something to do with the scrawny gay man sitting in my lap, but who knows.

    Have a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete