Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Winter Training for the Carriage Horse

It was a gorgeous autumn day yesterday at the stables, so I began the winter training schedule outside in the sunshine. The horses and I will be spending enough time in the indoor arena in the months to come. I had read an article on Chester Weber [see yesterday's post] and he described his seasonal schedules. I had never thought about it that way, the weather always determined what I could or could not do.

So, I put together a curriculum for the carriage driving show horses, concentrating on impulsion and collection for greater elasticity of movement. I spend a lot of time long lining in the winter, because it helps me to see how the horses are moving and where I need to focus energy for improvement. Weber described a combination of ground work, driving and riding for his carriage horses. So, I decided to add more riding- good for the horses, good for me.

Speaking of me, I am going to write it here so it must be done, I need to begin incorporating yoga exercises to this curriculum. I noticed my mobility yesterday was limited and yoga is the anecdote. I feel so much better when I have a regular yoga practice, at this point in my life it is becoming necessary for daily function. Taking up daily yoga practice is not difficult, but part of me wants to resist it as necessary, I suppose to resist the inevitable aging truth. My mind may still be young, but my joints and muscles are showing the mileage.

As the horses get older, it takes more work to keep them in shape, the same standard holds for me. If I want the horses to be brilliant on the lines for me, it is my responsibility to be brilliant on the box seat for them. Bring it on Winter.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

PS. It dawned on me yesterday that Lucy is now 2 years old. Seems like only yesterday she was a puppy...

1 comment:

  1. There is a great book called Yoga for Equestrians by Linda Benedik & Veronica Wirth. I used to use it, now I'm too lazy. But you might like to check it out.

    ReplyDelete