Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 14, 2010

White Coaches and Feminism Part II
















My primo attempt at sensationalizing this blog has been curtailed. Both Harold Ault and Vicki Nelson Bodoh have explained to me that the coaches weren't painted all white like the modern Vis a Vis in the wedding photos. Nah. It wasn't dramatic at all. Only a few panels on the body were painted white, or most probably cream. Rather like this photo of the Nimrod Road Coach, taken as part of the Seabrook Collection on http://www.caaonline.com/seabrook/nimrod.html

Still, Cornelia Bryce was a feminist to be sure and simply driving a four in hand put to a coach was in itself an affirmation of the Women's Movement in my book. I'm glad I took the time to research her, as I'm glad she was a forebear of the rights I now enjoy almost a hundred years after her drive in New York City.

I am gearing up for the arrival of spring, now that I am convinced winter is over. I am putting together a carriage driving lecture with the aforementioned Mr. Ault to be held in the coming months. More on that as details are confirmed. I will be making a presentation at the Iowa Horse Fair on carriage driving and setting up a booth there as well. Preparations on that are moving along nicely. I will have some rare edition carriage books, some mens and women's hats, rain covers for carriage seats, and perhaps even rain proof lap aprons in some seriously styling material. [No, they will not be coyote nor cashmere lined, sadly].

Harold and I have renewed our vows to the T Cart and begun in earnest on the wheels, again. We have made some progress, but sculpting wooden spokes and felloes with a rasp is painstaking work. More updates on that as it progresses. I might even start taking some Todd Frey-esque update photos of it. Watch this space!

I am brainstorming ideas about how to further develop the carriage market and will pledge this year to further explore the feasibility of a Pleasure Show or Combined Driving Event in the Des Moines area. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

2 comments:

  1. "perhaps even rain proof lap aprons in some seriously styling material. [No, they will not be coyote nor cashmere lined, sadly]."

    Balls! I was shopping for one of those and thought my search was over. Damn.

    Wish I could attend the lecture. Used to visit the Horse Expo in Madison when I lived in the midwest. That was always a fun field trip.

    And yes, please post photos of the vehicle in progress. Inquiring minds wanna see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    My dear friend Martha Stover makes rain covers for seats in Burberry cloth- seriously styling! I am trying to get her to make lap aprons out of it.

    ReplyDelete