Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Adega: The Cure For Everything













Adega on Ace

My nephew, Dashiell said the word "adega" as a toddler. Everything was adega. It was a wonderful word: a noun, a verb, an adjective. I used to wonder what he meant, I longed to understand adega. Dashiell is five now and does all those adorable things fivers do: he loves to read, thinks he should be allowed to drive the car, sees school as a prison sentence, would rather play outside all day, etc. But he also does things other five year olds don't and last year he was diagnosed with Autism. But even more heart breaking: he's given up trying to make us understand adega.

Dashiell is a wonderful little boy who delights us all with his wit and strange, fantastic world, so different to our own. Sometimes I despair that he is required to live in our world, because it seems so flawed in comparison to Dashiell's. Our world often causes him so much pain. Dashiell's world is filled with dancing particles of light. It is just so unfair.

April is Autism Awareness Month. Dashiell is not my only connection to Autism. Over the years I have worked with many children and a few adults with Autism in therapeutic riding and I've seen some extraordinary things along the way. Horses seem to understand Autismland and forge strong diplomatic ties with it's inhabitants. I have been honored to be a witness to this. So, I celebrate Autism Awareness Month.

If I can share any accidental sagacity with this it would be: Autism is not the disability; our lack of understanding of our own world is. If we decided that imposing our views of what is right or normal was the disability, we would be free to visit Autismland and also witness its wonder.

Adega,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

No comments:

Post a Comment