Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Friday, June 11, 2010

Accidental Sagacity: Adult Riders
















"No hour in the saddle is wasted." Winston Churchill

The days of summer, although longer in the sun's perspective are always too short from mine. The warm weather has brought several new clients to the Serendipity riding lesson curriculum and I've seen accidental sagacity at work. These women all have the horse love gene and have been riding for years. They found Serendipity through a desire to be better riders for their horses. What they discover about themselves out of the saddle is an added bonus.

Self awareness is the foundation of a good rider. Balance in the saddle, mental focus and an understanding of form and function are so important and seldom taught in riding lessons. How often have you heard an instructor say, "Heels down!" with no explanation? The most common result of this instruction is to push the foot forward to drop the heel, compromising the leg position under the rider's seat. "Shoulders back!" seldom opens up the solar plexus to improve coordination and balance between the rider and the horse.

So often I see riders struggling with their own bodies while riding. Their ankles are over extended, lower legs in front of the girth, pelvis tipped backwards, spine at a forty five degree angle in front of their hips, shoulders collapsing on the rib cage, with the whole shebang compromising the function of the spine. Yet, they labor on because of the horse love gene. They say to me with legitimate concern, "My horse is really stiff on this side/direction." "My horse won't step out at the walk/trot." "My horse has trouble bending."

When they begin to understand how to use their body to accommodate the physics of movement and participate effectively, the horse 'magically' supples, steps out and bends. At the end of the lesson the horse looks at me and lets out a big sigh. The rider is ecstatic. Whenever I am confronted with this, my heart goes all a flutter and I fall in love with my own life's work all over again.

This week, I got the equivalent of a dozen roses and a box of chocolates from my work. One of these gals sent me an email saying she was practicing good posture all day long and she had grown an inch since her lesson. [I'll bet anything her friends will secretly surmise that she's had cosmetic surgery.] Another wanted to cancel a lesson because she had a really bad day at work, but didn't. She left the barn after her lesson smiling, relaxed and said, "Wow. I was having a bad day. Now it is a good day."

That is accidental sagacity on its finest form.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post :) It is amazing how correct riding can change your body language and form through everyday life, it's also the perfect stress release after a bad day.

    ReplyDelete