Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ode To Columbus Carriage Classic




















The 2010 Columbus Carriage Classic is now history and what a lovely show it was. Organizer Nancy Osterhaus and her team continued the tradition of excellence that is synonymous with the show. The pork dinner was sublime as always, the Caribbean pool party was a nice addition to social activities and highlighted the gorgeous pool that we'd never seen before, but sat at the edge of the show. Frey Carriage Company held their annual reception on Saturday night, which is ever a treat for the carriage driving fraternity with great vehicles, accessories and accouterments on display. The weather held for us and gave us excellent driving under sometimes sunny, sometimes overcast skies with a soft breeze.

But what must stand out above all else is the company. We were stabled with Milady Martha Stover [who could not win a ribbon that wasn't blue, and took Concours d'Elegance Honors with the superlative Lisa, her welsh pony] and the Zaettas, Marilyn and Jerry [who we are now energetic fans of], Vicki and Jim Bodoh and Micheal Scott. Reuben and Florence Franz were there to greet us and looked after my family who came to watch on Saturday by giving them their extra sponsorship passes. Lucy was on high social butterfly deportment and endeared herself into the hearts of many. [In fact, Lucy spent two nights in a hotel, while I camped.]

Laurie Renda and Harold Ault helped Don Pecos and I through the show with very respectable placings in an insanely hard Open Horse Division. It seemed everyone was at the top of their game and I think we did a fine job of impressing the Canadian judges with our Midwestern carriage horses. I know I was proud to be in such good company in and out of the show ring.

I spent a bit of time drumming up entires for New Moon Carriage Classic and the response was very positive. The date, one week after Villa Louis, is a sticking point, of course, but after giving my pitch to those who were dubious, they warmed to the idea. I certainly hope that I can put on as good a show as Nancy did last week. Between Columbus and Villa Louis, I have a high bar to achieve.

Thanks to everyone who made the Columbus Carriage Classic possible. Your hard work and determination are not lost on the Serendipity team. I look forward to returning next year. Alas, that is all the time I have for reminiscing on to Skunk River this weekend, North Star next week and Metamora the week after that. Blogs many be few and far between, but I'll try to write at least a couple.

Hope you are enjoying the summer so far.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

No comments:

Post a Comment