Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Monday, October 11, 2010

The Most Agreeable Howard Kietzke






Howard and Mo
[Imagine me, resplendent in cream, sitting next to Howard.]









It is impossible to look at Howard Kietzke without smiling. He is so full of good humor and agreeableness, the result is contagious. My favorite Howard story, so far, happened at Villa Louis Carriage Classic this year.

I was packing up in a hurry to get over to watch Concours d'Elegance of the 30th Anniversary Show because I knew it would be spectacular. Howard, who was stabled next to me, walked up and asked me if I would ride with him in his heavenly sporting gig for Concours. My heart did a flutter, I said I'd be honored in a shaky voice and then nearly cried I was so touched by the invitation.

We decided I should wear my cream jacket and hat. Howard's high gig is red, black and has a cream panel and floats. I have never felt more like royalty as I did riding next to Howard in that gig. Howard drove Mo, his big bay Friesian cross perfectly suited to the sporting vehicle and we glided into the arena.

Concours is judged as the most elegant turnout of the show. With more than 100 turnouts at Villa Louis 2010, it was a high honor to be in the ring. There is only one winner in Concours and waiting in the line up watching the turnouts called off, thanked and dismissed not hearing Howard's number called, I looked at him and said, "You might just have this!"

The very picture of humility, Howard said to me, "It is very difficult to beat a George IV." He was referring to Mary Jo Stockman's elegant, formal and also perfectly turned out vehicle.

In the end, it was only Howard and Mary Jo left in the arena. Howard was right. It is very hard for a sporting vehicle to beat a formal one and Mary Jo took the top prize. I was thrilled to sit next to Howard and hear the crowd's response with a roar of applause when his number was called. I think they disagreed with the judges.

Later, I had the opportunity to talk to Marsha Himler, who judged the show. I asked her about judging the Concours, being careful not to mention I was in the class with Howard. She told me it was one of the most difficult classes she had ever judged. In the end, it came down to the very trifling point that Howard was wearing a boater instead of a top hat. She could find no other reason for making a choice and that is what judges have to do: make a choice.

So, it came down to the difference between Ascot and Henley. Boaters are the mens hat of choice for Henley, but not for Ascot. A sporting gig would have been found at both events, but not the boater. It is all about elegance. Henley is as much a part of the social season as Ascot and it would be wrong to wear a top hat while lounging along the river. I am uniquely qualified to say this as I have been to both events many times in the past.

Still, no one was happier than I sitting next to a most agreeable man in a beautiful gig, driving along the Mississippi River at the 2010 Villa Louis Carriage Classic. Thank you to Howard for his second to none friendship.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

1 comment:

  1. PS. Photo of Howard Kietzke at 2010 Villa Louis Carriage Classic by Laurie Renda

    ReplyDelete