Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Different, But Not Less

I finally got around to watching Temple Gradin, starring Claire Danes and had to chide myself for knowing too little about this extraordinary woman.  I have heard of Dr. Grandin's work on behalf of slaughter animals and have a personal and professional connection with Autism.  What this film did was let me "see in pictures" an angle of Autism and animals that equaled an epiphany.

Working with individuals diagnosed under the spectrum of autism in therapeutic riding, I was introduced to the idea that they did not see things the same way as I did.  The horses were always a bridge between my view and theirs.  I learned so much from them about perspective and tried to understand with greater patience.  When my nephew was diagnosed with Austism, I relied on those experiences, but on a personal level, I felt out of focus with him. Without the horses, I struggled to see his view.

This film put perspective to the puzzle.  "I've got it!" I said.  Well, maybe not it, but the idea, anyway.  If you haven't seen this film, run to do so.  If you want to know more of Temple Grandin's work to design animal holding areas to reduce stress and enhance the beneficial treatment of slaughter animals:  www.grandin.com Or if you want to have a greater understanding of autism: www.templegrandin.com




I am going to start reading her books immediately.  Animals and Autism have something to teach us about ourselves.  Every one of us.

Different, not less.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

No comments:

Post a Comment