Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Happy Mistakes

A View To A Thrill
photo by Robert Mischka


I started driving at the age of 14 under the watchful eye of my grandfather.  My family had just embarked on the World of Morgan Horse Ride: purchased a young show prospect, sent her to a very reputable trainer.  I learned to drive in a jog cart staring at said mare's behind.  I wasn't enthralled.

Twenty years later, I was introduced to carriage driving and EUREKA!  I was hooked.  Not having a carriage, I decided to start back in the aforementioned jog cart and work my way up to a better view.

The tangled mess of 20 year old harness got cleaned and oiled, jog cart's tires got pumped up, trained horse got harnessed, put to, and off I drove around the arena.   For a month or so.

So excited was my progress, I organized a driving fun day for the local Morgan club, set up some cones and various other obstacles, gathered refreshments.  Attendance was marvelous, including Bob Riley, life long mentor to a very long list of people, including my mother and trainer of the horse I was driving.  I was proud as a peacock as I drove towards the arena.

Bob sauntered over to me and asked me if I didn't think I needed traces.  "Traces?" I asked, completely oblivious.  He explained.  "Oh!  Those long pieces!  I couldn't work out where they went."  Bob suggested he'd hold the horse while I went to fetch those long pieces.

Mistakes are how we learn.  In this instance it was a happy one, no harm done, lesson learned.  Bob Riley spent many long a hours after that next to me in the jog cart, while I learned, safely, how to train a horse and how to drive.

If you are new to driving, find a mentor.  Or an instructor.  Make happy mistakes.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
www.hossbiz.com

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, you are quite unique!! This story made my day! I'll tell you my story when we chat.

    ReplyDelete