Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Where Can I Get A Horse Like That?




















Pecos [from a collection of photos of Fred & Jeanne Herrick]

People often ask me this about the Cheval Morgans. Truth is: you breed them. They don't just happen. I've written here about Fleetwing, now it's time for Pecos. The New York Morgan Horse Society posted a trivia question on facebook this week featuring Don Pecos's great grand sire, so I thought it was serendipity.

Pecos [AMHA 8969] was born in 1944 and sired 104 foals. I first fell for him when I was 14 years old and saw the photo below in "The Morgan Horse In Pictures" by Margaret Cabell Self. He was 26 when this photo was taken. The caption was something like: Pecos shedding his years and clowning like a colt.



Fred Herrick trained, showed and stood Pecos at stud for many of the horse's years and has a fond place in his heart for the great stud. "He had to show off all the time," Fred recalled. Jeanne [Mellin Herrick] told me that Pecos had a lot of heart, but he could be a little ornery, at times. She said, somewhat under her breath, that was why he and Fred got along so well.

I sent Fred and Jeanne a photo of Don Pecos [who has two crosses to Pecos in his bloodlines] as a two year old and Jeanne sent me a photo of a painting she made of Pecos noting how much they resembled each other. I am honored to have such a direct link to a horse I only knew in photos, paintings and stories, but whose blood lives on in my daily life through Don Pecos.


Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.




No comments:

Post a Comment