Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Multiples: Carriage Driving Adrenaline

Bob and I hitched Don Pecos and Ace as a pair yesterday. It was overcast and cool, really cool and when Ace came leaping and jigging into the barn, I wondered if it was such a sage idea. When Pecos nearly flipped over backwards in the cross ties because Bob handed me a magazine [that had unknown to me, been possessed by a horse eating demon] and I walked up to him reading it, with a brush in my hand, Bob began to wonder about the sanity of the lesson.

But my boys are good boys and we had a blast. Because it was cool and the boys hadn't been hooked as a pair in a while, they were cranked. Bob has become enamored by high stepping horses and said they looked beautiful, despite the harness- a cut down draft harness circa 1937 and put to a John Deere green and yellow Amish forecart with a bus seat as the box seat. Hence, no photos of the event. The only way to go in regards to turnout is up!

The dynamic of this pair goes like this: Don Pecos does all the work. He pulls the whole shebang. Ace hangs back just short of draft, so if you aren't paying attention, you don't realized he is doing none of the pulling. He puts so much effort into not pulling, that you feel sorry for him. He paces, he racks, he does passage, he does piaffe, he canters in slow, slow motion. If you tell him to 'get up there' he does whatever gait he's doing higher- straight up and down. Then you laugh. While Don Pecos does all the real work.

Afterwards, I threatened Bob with a tandem lesson, but I think we'll wait until spring for that. Driving multiples is so much fun: twice the power, twice the rush of adrenaline. It was great. Bob did mention, however, that he had "got very attached to the view from the gig", and I assured him I'd get us a proper carriage pair vehicle in the spring. That's Accidental Sagacity Corporation- client driven business model, literally! First it was the gig, then it was driving the Pecos Ferrari, next thing ya know, the only thing good enough for Bob will be a coach and four. Bob, Martins are having a carriage sale this weekend...see wish list [roof seat break] on yesterday's blog...

Tomorrow, I go to Harold's to help him winterize his carriage barns. My colleague, Michael Scott is coming down from Minneapolis for a Body Awareness lesson on Saturday and I have some schmoozing to do at a party on Sunday. I will be staying in town on Sunday, so won't be back to the blog until Tuesday, but I should have some good fodder then. Have a super weekend, everyone.

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.




No comments:

Post a Comment