Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Friday, January 22, 2010

Bloglessness

So I have been busy battling with the elements and the elements of Macromedia Dreamweaver. Between chopping ice, and slashing my way through the mire that is web site design, feeling like a feminine Indiana Jones against a green screen. I am physically and mentally spent.

Designing your own website if you are not a professional website designer is just like training your own horse, if you are not a professional horse trainer. Yes, you can do it. Yes it will be a trial and error process. Yes you will get a finished product that does approximately what you want. You hope. But there are so many functions that you will over look or miss altogether. So many steps that you are completely unaware of that are necessary for future development; like putting on the canter before you define the remote server.

So, why am I designing my own website? The current website was done by a professional and I learned nothing about it. As a result, I can't change anything without messing up the entire site, which upset the professional. A. Lot. He stopped taking my calls. Being that I am a Do It Yourself junky, I undertake the process with a bravery mostly fueled by stupidity. But I am learning. The tuition of do it yourself projects is in doing it over and over again until you get it right. Or something remotely resembling right.

I have developed a less love more hate relationship with Dreamweaver Help. I don't understand the instructions, the problems included in the Help section, nor do I understand the solutions. Even after I have read them ten times. The sentences are written in a syntax I did not learn in school and the terminology might just as well be in Latin. Thank goodness for Google, is all I can say. If I put in the key words of my dilemma, Google finds someone who figured it out and posted their light bulb moment on line. Bless those who went before me. And a capital letter Thank You for leaving me a trail.

Spring is coming, so I have to get this done. Now. Back to the nightmare weaver...

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serendipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

PS. For those of you who like irreverent, rapier wit and think Darwin may have had a point, AA Gill writes in Vanity Fair about the Creation Museum and takes along Paul Bettany, who plays Darwin, in the new film Creation. Gill writes:

"Just off a motorway, in a barren and uninspiring piece of scrub, the museum is impressively incongruous, a righteously modernist building resting in landscaped gardens filled with dinosaur topiaries. It cost $27 million and was completed in 2007. It answers the famous question about what God could have done if he had had money. "

I love Gill, nothing is off limits to him. But if you are committed to religion, give this one a miss.



1 comment: