Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Horse Training, Riding, Carriage Driving Treasure Map

"I never thought of it like that!"
"Why didn't my last trainer tell me about this?"
"I wish someone had taught me this years ago."

These are some of the things I've heard from my clients over the years. Training horses and people in the arts of riding and carriage driving is a passion for me. One that has required many hours of watching horses and people go in circles, looking for the subtlest of clues, both negative and positive to polish and hone my own skills as well as theirs. The rewards of which have come by accident and sagacity, trial and error. It is always a treasure hunt.

Finding the hidden treasure within a horse or a person is worth all the painstaking effort it requires. The moment the timid horse believes he can do it, when the rider or whip suddenly makes sense of what she is doing, and the click when it falls into place for them both is a heady elixir. I have been privileged over the years to be a party to these gems many times.

The map to these cache moments isn't always as clear as I'd like it to be; sometimes the directions are vague. Sometimes the landmarks aren't where I expected them, or they are rather less like landmarks and more like hallmarks-so small as to be almost imperceptible. Half halts are notoriously ambiguous, so, as it seems, are twenty meter circles and halt at 'X'. Often the navigating takes more deciphering than the training. Even when the direction is a circle.

Riding or driving a circle depends on the ability to understand straight lines. A minimum of two straight lines, in fact, intersecting in the middle of the desired circle. Silly, everyone knows that, right? Well, I'll tell you who doesn't know that [I know, I promised no names]- the horse. Yes, well, Ace knows that, but that is another blog. Every circle, every equitation pattern, every dressage test, every cones course, every lesson has a map, a diagram, a plan. It is your responsibility to read it, understand it, follow it as your best guess allows.

Training the horse, rider or whip is no different to following an ancient treasure map. Every step along the way asks a question. Am I going the correct direction? Am I leading this expedition to success? Am I missing a clue? Am I being clear, consistent in my directives? The measure of value is in answering the questions, interpreting the clues, and discovering riches beyond silver and gold.

I wish someone had told me that 20 years ago...

Kind Regards,
Michelle Blackler
Serendipity
www.hossbiz.com
Serndipity is an Accidental Sagacity Corporation company.

No comments:

Post a Comment