Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Equines of Serendipity- Kitten





Chevals JS Dream Doll

She came to me in a dream. I told my Mother the next morning that Dolly's foal's name was Kitten. "Yes, and what if it is a stud colt?" she asked. "No," I said. "She's Kitten." "Well, we shall see about that," she said. In the predawn hours of May 14, 1998, my Mother woke me and said, "Get yourself to the barn. Kitten has arrived."

If you look at Jeanne Mellin Herrick's portrait of the standard of perfection for the Morgan mare, you would swear Kitten posed for it: dark chocolate chestnut, two hind stockings, big, doe eyes, powerful, yet delicate. Ok, so Kitten is a Saddleback Supreme granddaughter, has 4 crosses to Pecos, 3 to Ben Donn and has unmistakeably the best of Applevale, Saddleback and Aquarian breeding in her papers. [Both my Mother and I have worshipped Fred and Jeanne Herrick for 40 years. They knew what they were doing, and we have proof.]

Kitten's registered name is in memory of the late Jennifer Steensen. When Kitten and Ace were born, Jennifer came to visit them. She was so excited, her laughter could be heard from inside the van, before she even got in the barn. Getting her wheelchair situated in the alleyway was a drama, so I just let Kitten out of her stall. She had to be restrained [by two people] from climbing into Jenn' lap, she was so determined. Jenn was shrieking with delight. I took photos.

Later that week, Jenn was scheduled for surgery to fuse her spine. Scoliosis was diminishing her lung function and the surgery was necessary. She asked her mother to frame one of the photos of her and Kitten to take to the hospital. On May 22, 1998, eight days after Kitten arrived in my world, Jennifer left it. My last memory of Jenn is her laughter, and the day old filly trying to board the wheelchair.

Kitten's story is not complete without Jennifer, just as Don Pecos needs Morgan. Their paths crossed only fleetingly, but the poignancy lingers on, eleven years later. Never underestimate the power of a seemingly chance encounter. Whether you believe in God, karma or destiny, Kitten and Jennifer fit the profile. Jenn's time with me was finishing, Kitten's was just beginning. That they met was the treasure.

So, whenever the world collapses on top of me, I go and sit at Kitten's feet. Right in front of them. She has no regard for personal space, mine or hers, as evidenced from day one. She wraps her lovely head and neck around me and holds me until I can crawl out from under whatever is overwhelming me. She is my sentinel.

She is also the dam of Cheval's Joie de Vivre, the mare in the photo at the top of this blogspot. I have not been able to breed her as much as I wanted, but one day, there will be another pre-dawn birth. I am waiting for Felix, Kitten's colt, who came to me in a dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment