Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 24, 2009

Equines of Serendipity- Major

I have spent my whole life looking for knowledge, purpose and adventure. No where have the rewards of my pursuits been greater than in the company of a horse.

My first word was hoss. I reckon it will be my last. All the ones I speak in between will pale in significance. So, enter the steeds who carry, pull, cradle and fulfill me and many others. They are Major, Ace, Don Pecos and Kitten. I will spend the next few blogs introducing them in detail, starting with Major.

The Major General
Major was born on my family’s acreage west of Des Moines, IA on Memorial Day in 1994. My mother named him in honor of that, and my father who at the time, was a major in the National Guard and for his sire, Black River Major.

Love at first sight is a chemical reaction to an attraction which usually ends very badly for me. In Major’s case is was the first chapter in a new saga. Yes, we’ve had our share of disagreements, but he is quick to forgive my mistakes and even quicker to learn when I am right. He taught me how to train a horse: with my intellect, integrity and sincerity. He has been the personification of the Koran and of Shakespeare showing me “the power of flight without wings”, “for when I bestride him, I soar.” I taught him to be a Ladies Horse: soft on the bit, the epitome of good manners and of good breeding, a true gentleman. And whenever I get silly, too lovey-dovey or lazy, he bites me. Not hard, just a warning: the Major keeping me in line.

The stories of Major could fill a book. Here are some of my personal favorites...

That he prefers to use the people door instead of the livestock door to enter and exit the barn.

His beloved goats, Amos and Andy in his feed bunk, flanking their Major while they all shared dinner.

Playing games of tag, tug of war and fetch the tree branch with his first born foal.

After showing great leniency with a trespassing kitten in his stall, he deposited the repeat offender by said kitten’s tail in the water bucket. Problem solved. No harm befell the soggy kitten, except to his pride.

Standing in his stall every day staring at the radio whenever Doug Brown was reading on NPR's Book Club. One day, I turned off the radio to see what he would do and he shot me a look that said very clearly, "WTF!" I turned it straight back on and he looked at me, sighed heavily and returned his attention to Mr. Brown's honey voice.

“Why do I love the Iowa State Fair? Corn dogs with mustard, onion rings, Dairy Barn Milk Shakes and all the people who come to see me!” Major says.

The time I had to be excused from a Western Pleasure class because he was acting so strangely. Outside the arena I looked at him and said, “What the …was that about?” He looked back at me with pouty eyes, opened his mouth and the heavy silver bit fell out. My young grooms had not got the screws tight after cleaning the bit and they fell out. Major had been trying to hold the bit in his mouth the whole time.

Or removing all the fur from the back end of Donkey Otey, his current pasture mate, in retaliation against the burrow’s chewing off half of his tail.

Oh, I could go on and on. Suffice it to say, this black Morgan stud is indeed a larger than life character with wit, athleticism and elegance to spare. He has been dubbed the Mick Jagger of Horses, which I find fitting, considering his strut, his intelligence and legions of adoring fans. He passes on his charisma, talent and his tiny ears to his offspring. I wish everyone could experience one horse, just once in their lives, as exceptional as Major.

For he has certainly made my life much less ordinary.

PS. Special thanks to the Ely's for fostering my boy and providing anecdotes






2 comments:

  1. You made me cry!!

    I shouldn't have to be reminded of his amazingness, because I get to see it all the time, but still, just reading it reminds me of what a fabulous animal he is. And I am thankful that I get to see him every day.

    P.S. Today he locked himself in the paddock. We noticed on our way to church (late of course) so he had to wait the hour while we were gone. When we got back BOY, was he PISSED! "Don't you know who I AM?? I am the MAJOR GENERAL! And who is in CHARGE here?"

    Our transgression was duly noted, and we promise to do our best to never let it happen again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such an epic dork, which makes his beauty all the more unique.

    ReplyDelete