Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bob and Ace: Villa Louis Carriage Classic

What an excellent weekend we had at Villa Louis. Harold Ault, Ace, Lucy and I arrived on Thursday the 10th to get settled in and meet Heidi Kenney and her dog Barclay. The first wonderful surprise was our stall assignment, which was nestled in between carriage driving pair gods, Aaron Achenbach and Howard Kietzke. It was Aaron who helped me decipher Gambler's Choice strategies 10 years ago, at my first Villa Louis. Howard lent me a back strap and crupper when one of my horses went over backwards at a show and I wanted to re-hitch despite broken harness. Aaron and Howard are the finest of carriage driving competitors: savvy, witty, generous.

Team Serendipity's whip, Bob Nervig, and his lovely wife Kathy arrived on Friday. I put them straight to work. Harold and I had just finished stitching the new patent leather shaft covers on the gig and Bob admired all the new patent, thanks to a very generous donation by Heidi. Bob and I schooled Ace through the water hazard and after cannonballing into the water directly behind me [soaking me] on the first attempt, he showed his typical contrition and strolled through it after without question.

Thankfully, that was the only time I was soaked during the weekend. The weather gods bestowed temperance and the rain gear stayed stowed. Not the case for Barclay, however, who found tributaries of the river at every opportunity, demonstrating the Labrador aspect of his ancestry. [He and Lucy left quite an impression on Prairie du Chien, and were known by name at the hotel and on the grounds.] Early morning fog laced the river bluffs, gently dispersed by fuschia dawns followed by lovely dappled sunshine that made Villa Louis a late summer paradise.











Saturday morning found us in turnout where the judge, Mrs. Eleanor Hunter, awarded Bob and Ace a second place ribbon. Cross country was a blast, Ace went right over the bridge and through the water for Bob. [Non carriage folk will wonder why the bridge didn't go over the water, as do the horses, but they are two separate obstacles.] Crossing the road was confounding, Ace stopped at the sign, and then got road rage and wanted to continue, without waiting for the traffic on the road, hence Bob and I got off count and missed a gate.

Still, it was a fabulous morning of driving and team Serendipity took a well deserved rest in the Patron's Tent to watch the show. I found an Audrey Hepburn hat with my name on it at Colonial Carriage Works that I didn't take off all day. I donned it in Bob's reinsmanship class, where he took a third place ribbon. For his first day of his first pleasure driving show ever, Bob shined as well as the gig and harness.




















After a brief break, we were back at the Villa for wine, cheese and excellent company. Then off to prime rib dinner under the marquee and the auction, where Heidi and I showed off the auction items at Mike Rider's request. I must humbly admit that I aided the auctioneer in raising $425 for a three legged stool, something that no one at the auction is ever going to let me forget. Ah, camaraderie...

Sunday bright and early was the scurry- cones. This is Bob and Ace's favorite part of the division. They made a clean, fluid course and won a fourth place ribbon against village, Meadowbrooks and road carts. Well done, boys. Working pleasure won another second place ribbon for Bob and Ace and gambler's choice awarded another fourth place. At the close of the show, Bob tied for reserve champion novice driver horse, in a very competitive division.

For team Serendipity, he and Ace were unbeatable. More important than any ribbon, is the feedback from people who go out of their way to compliment your turnout or the volume of applause from an inspired audience. Bob's story about carriage driving with an auto immune disorder is touching and affected many people.

It is my great honor to have participated in this story. Villa Louis never fails to add value to my life and I thank all the individuals for the wonderful memories I have again this year. Yet another truly brilliant weekend to add to the books.


No comments:

Post a Comment