Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Carriage Driving Classics

Still feeling poorly, so I thought I'd share one of my most effective remedies: reading. I've been revisiting two of my all time favorite carriage driving books, Driving by the Duke of Beaufort and Driving For Pleasure by Francis Underhill.

Reading these books may not cure a chest infection or sinus congestion, but they make me smarter, for sure. I love the prose, the by gone erudition and the affirmation that what I do for a living is worth preserving.

"The old Morgan Trotter is probably the nearest suited to the requirements of the brougham or carriage horse of any strain produced in America." Underhill

"Remember that your comfort depends on keeping on good terms with your horse." Beaufort

I strongly recommend these books to anyone who is interested in driving horses.


2 comments:

  1. What an elegant blog. How beautiful the horses and carriages. Go to Harold's and take photos, please. I love to look at the antiques.

    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I like your blog, too. Incidentally, Harold Ault used to drive horses on the street. Seven degrees of separation!

    ReplyDelete